Textiles, Food and Fashion
Starting in Madrid and finishing in San Sebastian, this seven-night tour looks at the revival of textiles and their place in décor and fashion in Spain today. Yarns, wools, fabrics, leather have all been associated with traditional Spanish life. In recent years, we have seen a revival of their use in artisan traditions, paving a new way forward for them to become a part of contemporary life.
We travel through the contrasting landscapes of Madrid, La Rioja and the Basque Country, meeting people along the way who share with us their expertise, offering an intimate portrait of Spain and its textiles. Of course, it would only be fitting to pay homage to Spain’s gastronomy as part of our tour!
Some highlights from the tour
- Art historian and best-selling author Gijs van Hensbergen takes us through Madrid for a textile tour through the centuries. As part of the tour, we will see relevant pieces in the Royal Palace and visit the Royal Tapestry Factory.
- Nacho Aguayo, designer and Creative Director for Spanish fashion house Pedro del Hierro, talks to us about contemporary textiles and fabrics and how he uses them in his designs.
- We go behind the scenes at Loewe, the handbag and leather specialists.
- We take an artisans tour of Madrid, meeting the cape-makers, silk painters and visit a hub for up and coming young Spanish designers
- We go to Ezgaray, a charming medieval town, famous for its mohair and cashmere scarves and blankets. We visit the Valgañon family factory, who manufacture for Hermes, Armani and other luxury brands.
- Lola Barasoain, former couturier and model to Givenchy, gives us a class in amazuelas patchwork at her converted watermill in La Rioja.
- A guided visit to the Cristóbal Balenciaga museum in Getaria
- An optional morning at the Guggenheim, Bilbao
In attractive and comfortable four star hotels:
- The Hotel de las Letras in Madrid
- The Hotel Viura in La Rioja
- The Astoria7 In San Sebastian
- An Insider’s Madrid gourmet tapas tour, Madrid
- Lunchtime cocktail with some of the best view of Madrid from the roof terrace of the Circulo de Bellas Artes
- Dinner at La Academia del Despiece, one of the most exciting dining experiences in Madrid, hosted by Mallorcan chef Javier Bonet
- Lunch at the michelin star restaurant, Echauren in La Rioja
- Gourmet pinxtos tour, San Sebastian
- Winery by the sea, Txomin Extaniz in Getaria for lunch
- Farewell dinner in Rekondo, San Sebastian
Your tour hosts are Joanna Wivell, owner of Corazon Travel and Pablo López. Pablo owns Casa Josephine hotel and shop in Madrid and La Rioja and is a trained art historian.
Contact us to book now or request the full itinerary
- Price: €3400 per person
- €200 euro discount for the first five bookings
- Single supplement: €495
- Tour deposit booking: €500
- Duration: 7 nights
- What´s included: all accommodation, and visits, all breakfasts and 10 meals (5 lunches and 5 dinners) during the trip (for other meals you are free to make your own plans although we find that guests are usually full!), all wine at meals, your tour hosts Joanna and Pablo, and local transport and VAT. Flights, insurance and tips are not included.
About Sign Up Tours
Of course our tours are about knowing the right places and the right people to experience and enjoy the real Spain, but it’s also about living life in the present tense, the before and after feeling that life on the open road gives us, a moment in time... a true travel experience.
We offer open tours in different seasons, be it reaching the warm sun of southern Spain in the autumn and winter, discovering the magnificent spring in the central peninsula or catching up with the northern regions in the summer. More about Sign Up Tours