The recipe below calls for one 4-5 pound chicken. If you will be adapting this for a turkey, increase the ingredients proportionately based on the weight.
1 whole 4-5lb. chicken cut into 8 pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 hardboiled eggs, yolks only
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 slices of bread, toasted
Pinch of saffron strands
1 cup (250 ml) of white wine or dry sherry
1 cup (250 ml) of chicken stock
salt and pepper
1. Clean the chicken with water being sure to remove any excess fat. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot and and carefully place the cut-up chicken in the pot to brown.
3. Once the chicken has a golden color, remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
4. Add the onion and garlic to the pot. Cook for approximately 15 minutes until they are soft.
5. While the onions and garlic are cooking, toast the almonds. Toss them frequently to avoid burning.
6. In a food processor, combine the toasted almonds, egg yolks, saffron strands, and the 2 slices of toasted bread. Process to form a fine paste.
7. Once the onions and garlic have softened, add the chicken, the chicken stock, and the wine or sherry to the pot. Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes until the wine has reduced.
8. Add ground almond, egg, and bread mixture to the pot and mix in thoroughly.
9. Continue cooking over low heat for 35-40 minutes until the chicken is tender and the flavors have combined.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste
2 bags of washed spinach
2 15 oz cans of chickpeas
4 slices of bread
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
1. Chop the spinach and add to a large pot of salted boiling water
2. Stir the spinach so that it cooks evenly. After about 1 minute, remove from water and drain thoroughly in a colander.
3. Heat up olive oil in a large pan and add the whole garlic cloves. Stir until softened and golden. Remove the garlic cloves from the pan and discard.
4. Cut up the bread into fine pieces and place in the pan in which you just cooked the garlic. Cook until golden.
5. In a food processor combine the toasted bread, 1 teaspoon of cumin, pinch of black pepper, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar and 1/2 a cup of water. Process into a fine paste.
6. In a large pot, add olive oil, y add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add the blended mixture from the food processor to the pot and let cook for 5 minutes
8. Add chickpeas and mix everything together well. Add salt and pepper to taste
9. Let cook for another 5 minutes to allow the flavors to mix.
If using this recipe as a stuffing for a chicken or turkey, make sure to use dried figs or raisins. If serving on its own, fresh grapes or figs make this dish outstanding.
1lb of rustic bread
2 cloves garlic
2 oz (50g) bacon, cut into small pieces
2 oz (50g) chorizo, sliced
Dried figs or raisins
1. Chop up bread into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Add a small amount of water to moisten the bread. Add a pinch of salt and stir so that the bread soaks up the water.
2. Peel and slice the garlic and cook in olive oil until golden.
3. Add the bacon and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the slices of chorizo. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the bread to the mixture and mix it all well with a spatula or wooden spoon. If the mixture gets too dry, add a bit of water. Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
5 Add in the dried figs or raisins and continue to stir until combined.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. If serving on its own, skip step 5, and add the fresh figs or grapes when serving.
1 and 1/4 cup (250gr) sugar
1 and 1/4 cup (250gr) ground almonds or almond flour
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Powdered sugar for decorating
1. In a mixing bowl, add the sugar and ground almonds (or almond flour) and mix well. Beat in the eggs one at a time until a dough is formed.
2. Add lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
3. Butter a 9-inch (22cm) round baking pan and dust with flour.
3. Add the cake mixture to the pan and place in an oven at 350ºF (180ºC).
4. Cook for approximately 30 minutes until the top is golden.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
6. Dust with powdered sugar for decoration.